Totem Totem Cam
The Totem Cam is an innovatively designed cam with the patented Direct Loading Camming Device System, able to safely access placements other cams cannot.
The Totem Cam's thin lobes are designed for pockets, cracks, or flares that are not so deep, and, using the DLCD system, it is able to be loaded with only two or three of its lobes, broadening potential placement possibilities (see below for a full description of the DLCD system and safety concerning half lobe loading). The Totem Cam also has a very flexible body, designed to minimise walking whilst in placement.
With its unique design, the Totem is ideal on limestone or other rocks that do not offer obvious placements, and where other cams are unable to fit.
|ALL SPECS||See table in the features list|
Direct Loading Camming System
What is it?
"The new patented Direct Loading Camming Device System (US patent 7,014,156) applies a perfectly equalized load directly onto each lobe, minimizing the risk of inactive lobes and therefore any outbalanced forces that might compromise cam placement stability. When the crack is not deep enough and only two/three lobes contact the rock, the Totem Cam offers the possibility to load only two lobes. Placements involving only half of the lobes can help to support body weight in aid climbing situations, but they cannot be used to protect against a fall."
Perfect for exploiting shallow or flared cracks where one or two outer lobes cannot establish rock contact.
Totem Key Features
• Patented Direct Loading Camming Device system (US patent 7,014,156) applies a perfectly equalized load directly onto each lobe.
• Well-sized cam heads with the narrowest head width for the smallest sizes.
• Very flexible cam body.
• Easy handling even with hand gloves.
• Loadable on just two lobes.. Read the Instructions For Use!
• Great holding power.
• Less walking due to strong springs and good flexibility.
• Good expansion range (1.64:1)
• Light and durable.
1 product review
By far my favorite cam. Quite durable too (they held through two Yosemite fall seasons and are still going).
I love the versatility of the Totem Cam:
* flared or parallel cracks? No problem. Due to it's independent engaging of the two cam pairs it holds in flared placements as well as parallel ones - a true 2 in 1.
* the soft material and shape of the lobes will make it hold on any rock type (as long as the rock holds)
* the flexibility in the stem make walking a thing of the past