Petzl GriGri Belay Device
New for 2019, the Petzl GrIGri is a streamlined amalgamation of the GriGri 2 and the GriGri+. Designed for climbing at the crag or at the climbing wall, the Petzl GriGri allows for superior rope control and extra smooth lowering thanks to its compact, smooth design. So how is it different to the GriGri 2 and the GriGri+? Essentially it takes the camming unit from the GriGri+ but doesn't include the extra safety features. Updates include a lower-profile thumb catch, bigger rope capacity, user diagrams engraved on the inside and outside of the plate, as well as a space to write your name. The result is a versatile, lightweight belay device with superior lowering properties. It's exceptionally smooth and the perfect upgrade for climbers who're used to belaying with a GriGri 2.
|MATERIALS||aluminum side plates, stainless steel cam and friction plate, reinforced nylon handle|
|ROPE CAPACITY||8.5 to 11 mm single rope|
|RECOMMENDED USE||Sport climbing, gym climbing, trad and multi-pitch climbing|
At a Glance
Belay device with assisted braking, compatible with a broad range of single rope diameters, for both gym and crag:
- feeding slack and catching falls are done using standard belay techniques; always keep a hand on the brake-side of the rope
- the assisted braking function is activated when a climber falls, the device pivots, the rope tightens and the cam pinches and blocks the rope. Holding the brake side of the rope helps engage the cam, therefore it is important to always hold the brake side of the rope
- compatible with dynamic single ropes 8.5 to 11 mm, optimised for 8.9 to 10.5 mm
- rope installation diagram engraved on both the interior and exterior of the device
Exceptional comfort during descents:
- the ergonomic handle allows you to easily lower someone
- smooth descent control is achieved thanks to the progressive action of the cam
Designed for experienced belayers:
- simple to use for belaying both lead or top-rope climbers
- optimally balanced design: lightweight (175 g), compact and durable
6 product reviews
The best belay device is better now. Great equipment and fast shipping.
the all new GriGri is by far the best thay have produced i totally recommend this product to anyone who is competent with all other grigri devices
Not only is this a very nice object but when I'm climbing with less experienced people I don't worry not about being killed as if they panic and let go it will still hold me
This is a great product that is easy to use and very comfortable. Great for lead climbing! Ordered to Canada as the price is much lower on this site, while being the same product. Will definitely return to order off the EpicTV Shop!
This new model is very similar to the GriGri 2, but with some improvements. The handle is larger wich makes it easier to descend your partner smoothly, and it weights a little less wich is always nice for carrying.
The cam is better designed to be used with 9-ish mm ropes, wich is nice for intermediate/advanced sport climbers. Even so, the recommended diameters zone goes all the way up to 10.5mm , so i guess it should be good with those too (I tested with 9.5mm).
If you are a sport climber with some experience in need for a new automatic belay device, this is definitely a good choice.
If you are a begginer, you may want to check the GriGri+, that comes with extra safety features for you and your rope, and it even has a "top-rope" mode.